Monday, January 17, 2011

Update: The Scanning Scourge

If you read my last post, "The Scanning Scourge", you'll recall that I questioned the increased use of technology  in the book-buying world (hand-held scanners, to be precise) and its impact on the quality of used books being sold on Amazon and other resale outlets.

I've decided to give up my scanner, and I wish I could say it was wholly motivated by my unselfish desire to rid the world of these mindless little beeping monsters - but it is not. Financial fortunes require me to cut unnecessary expenses so the scanner's got to go.

But it occurred to me that, given the current economy, I may not be the only one turning in my device to "pay the rent". With a $300 rental deposit and a $45 a month service/rental fee, you need to sell a lot of books to make the device economical.

So allow me to dream for a moment and make the leap that there will be fewer "amateurs" out there pushing, shoving and beeping their way through the used book racks.Wouldn't it be interesting if, in turn, the people who once saw the device as a quick way to make a few bucks leave the "scanning" to people like me who actually love the books? And wouldn't it be sweet to go back to the good old days when I could take hours poring over books just for the sheer joy of it?

We'll see. It's an interesting thought and I'm pretty sure dreaming is still free! Beeeeeep....

No comments:

Post a Comment