Monday, October 11, 2010

Tooting My Own Horn

Rocky's Mountain Books has been operating since March, 2010. As of today, I've sold 530 books, and while that's reason enough to pat myself on the back, the number alone doesn't tell you anything about how I run my business.

I'm an absolute pit bull about customer service, so the even greater achievement is fulfilling all these orders while maintaining a 5-Star, 100% Rating with amazon.com. The five stars are nice, but the 100% is the grail (so to speak) of amazon feedback ratings. The 100% is based on several standards established by Amazon for sellers. It represents complete satisfaction of all my customers in the areas of shipping speed, number of returns/refunds, and of course positive feedback. On average, Amazon sellers can expect feedback from only about 10% of their customers. So Rocky's is doing a little better than average with 58 positive feedbacks. The GREAT news is that the feedback is all positive! I mean, nobody hesitates to complain when service is bad, right? But these folks are compelled to write GOOD reviews. Which makes me think they're pretty pleased with the service to take the time to leave feedback.

Bookselling has become an intensely competitive business, and every Tom, Dick and Terry is selling used books online. I can't speak for the way other sellers do business. I can only tell you that when you're shopping Amazon with ANY bookseller, check feedback and look carefully at the Condition rating. Amazon has strict guidelines about rating a book for Condition. For instance, a book that is 'slightly used' cannot be listed as 'New'. That doesn't stop some sellers from crossing the line and giving it a New rating anyway, hoping you won't read the fine print.

Now Rocky's is poised to make some major changes and improvements. Addition of a website will assist with coherently categorizing an inventory of almost 1,000 books. Expanding into marketing and promotion will benefit my bookselling as well as assist self-published authors in gaining exposure and good press through social media networking. I'm proud to look back and see the positive results of my efforts to build a solid foundation for the next step. Clearly, something great is happening with my business...TOOT TOOT TOOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment