Sunday, October 3, 2010

For the Love of a Rescue Dog

My sweet love of a rescue dog, Teeka, is about 12 years old. We got her when she was about six (with rescues, birth dates are sketchy) . Adopted  from our local rescue organization, Evergreen Animal Protective League, she was with a family in transition. They were moving out of state and could not take her.

When we first met, Teeka was very responsive. The owner said, hopefully, "Ohh, she really likes you". But it didn't take long for me to understand that Teeka had issues. I could pet her head, rub her ears, and even got a 'kiss' on the first visit. But if I moved my hand beyond the middle of her back, toward her hindquarters, she would growl and snap. When I tried to touch her paw I got the same reaction.


But I spent a few hours with her that day and I saw something else there. She wanted to be loved. She was A Good Dog. A sweet dog. A dog with a big heart but a bad start in life. Whatever she'd experienced, I knew she didn't deserve it. She has a scar across her snout. When she looks at you with her beautiful brown eyes, there's a permanent ugly scar on her eyeball. I know it doesn't bother her, but it makes me sad every time I see it. Who could hurt such a beautiful, loving and trusting face?

She's so so much more secure now, but still touchy in certain areas. The only time I can give her a belly rub is late at night if she happens to be sleeping on her back.. Even then, I'm very tentative. Grooming is an event that requires patience, and she's become much more accepting but there are still places I can't touch without upsetting her.

But, without a doubt, my life would not be the same without her. She is devoted to her family. She's a dog with a soft loveable center but a hard candy shell. There are still times when she'll snap if I forget the boundaries, but almost immediately she paws at her nose and then looks at me as if to say, "I'm sorry. I know that was uncalled for. It's just who I am". There is not an ounce of real hostility in her. About a year ago, a dog came into our yard and she sat there while the guy chomped on her neck. I physically had to pull him off her.

So, if you love dogs and have the ability to do so, please, please consider fostering or adopting a rescue dog. There is so much love in their hearts. But sometimes you have to be patient and search to find it because Love is not something they're used to receiving. It's worth the time to get to that place in their hearts. Every one of them are worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment